Saturday, February 6, 2016

Pizza...pizza...and more pizza! Never the same slice twice.


Pizza is something that I love to make, grilled or done in Grace. Making a crust from scratch is so much fun and tastes 100% better than anything from a box, a pouch or even the freezer and it really doesn't take that much time. I have found many recipes for fresh dough in Pinterest. All doughs in this post can be found on my board under "tried it and loved it" and I use many.

The best part about making a pizza is that you really can top it with anything. Some of my favorite toppings are spinach, oven dried tomatoes (similar to sun dried but done in my own kitchen and packed in oil), goat cheese or feta cheese, artichoke hearts, onions and other fresh veggies. I have even made chicken wing pizza and Hawaiian pizza.



I have also found that grilling pizza works best if you lightly toast both sides of the dough first without toppings. Once you add the toppings the pizza slides off the peel better. Grilling with indirect heat once it's been toasted with direct flame is what I have found to be the best method of grilling pizza on a gas flame. Grilling on charcoal is just a s great but you want to be sure your coals are hot enough to cook the pizza but not too hot to scorch it. This will take some practice.


Baking pizza in Grace on my stoneware has been fun. I enjoy learning how to do new things with this stove. My family and friends love trying my experiments. I am finding that the pizza top is getting done and brown before the bottom crust is crisp and crunchy. To solve this minor issue I have taken to finishing my pizza on the top of the stove once the top is done. This has worked nicely. 


So, before you spend the money to buy a pizza, get on Pinterest and find a dough recipe you can make, tweak it by adding herbs or spices and give homemade pizza a try. Yes, grill it when the weather clears. No need to save pizza for winter nights and no worries if you don't have a Grace to make your pizza...the standard gas or electric oven will work just fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment